League Forums

Main - League Help

Defensive Field Zones - the thirteenth man

By TarquinTheDark
3/18/2020 1:47 am

MFN has the field divided into four 25-yard zones, both for offense and defense. They can be useful, but they're not as useful as they could be. Many of us have written rules for offense based on down and field position - go for it on fourth and short at the opponent 40, call quick passes and inside runs from behind your own 15, etc.

Many of us have also struggled with defensive game-planning. We switch plays based on down, distance, or opponent formation. I think this could be a useful new concept for many owners. If the sidelines can be used as a twelfth man, field position can be used as a thirteenth man.

I've had some success recently with incorporating field position into my defensive scheme. We give up a lot of yards (I think of those as "your yards"), but not a lot of points. I prioritize different plays and override different players based on what I want to accomplish in each zone. It would be a lot easier to plan this way if the field was divided into five 20-yard zones, because that is how I think of the field from a defensive angle.

Opponent EZ - 20
Back 'em up - Safety zone
Increase Blitzing under Zone coverage, with Speed and Pass Rushing players on the field.

Opponent 20-40
Make 'em pay - Punishment zone
Increase Cover 1 and Man coverage, with strong B&R and Punishment skills.

40-40
No Man's Land - Turnover zone
Increase flat zones and zone-in plays, with strong Acceleration, Strip Ball, and Pass Catching for the turnovers.

Own 40-20
The Outer Wall - My yards
Increase Cover 1 & Cover 2 plays, reduce blitzing; looking for Speed and Man Coverage.

Own 20-EZ
The Fortress - No-go Zone
Increase Safety Blitzes or maybe move Safeties to LB spots (depends on opponent), looking for fastest LBs to cover the outside runs and outlet passes.

Of course these are just tendencies, and I substitute a lot. If you'e able to use this to game-plan against me, good for you. Good luck, and don't call Cover 0 against Seattle. ;)

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/nfl-defensive-success-by-field-zone--def-.html
Last edited at 3/18/2020 3:23 am

Re: Field Zones - the thirteenth man

By TarquinTheDark
3/26/2020 11:46 pm
TarquinTheDark wrote:

Own 40-20
The Outer Wall - My yards
Increase Cover 1 & Cover 2 plays, reduce blitzing; looking for Speed and Man Coverage.

I've had to reconsider my scheme here. When I have blitzed successfully, it has often pushed opponents back out of FG range.

By ssid_27
7/20/2020 12:43 am
Nice article. Defense is difficult to set up a good game plan.

By kursetheday
9/16/2020 1:49 pm
I don't play Field Zones, in particular. It's an interesting strategy. I typically play against the formation directly. Although, I tend to play lots of heavy man coverage, and I make sure my personnel has the speed, tackle, and man-2-man coverage skills. I crank up blitzes situationally.

By TarquinTheDark
9/17/2020 8:53 pm
After a couple of down seasons, BTP is starting to be competitive. I might start doing this again.

(It's a lot of work for a team that isn't playoff ready.)
Last edited at 9/17/2020 8:54 pm

By asnboidmx
9/18/2020 12:35 am
kursetheday wrote:
I don't play Field Zones, in particular. It's an interesting strategy. I typically play against the formation directly. Although, I tend to play lots of heavy man coverage, and I make sure my personnel has the speed, tackle, and man-2-man coverage skills. I crank up blitzes situationally.