The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: New Sim Engine: Hints, tips and general advice

By Waitwut
12/01/2021 12:02 pm
kursetheday wrote:
I still see a whole lot of chatter in the community forums about how bad 0.4.6 is (and yes, I realize I'm saying this as 10-1 and playoff bound), but it's not terrible. It's a ground and pound football that's certainly not a mimic of the NFL. You can't throw beyond 6 yards and there's a lot of sacks and too many drops, but I haven't NOT enjoyed it.

I like that QBs wills scramble and slide. I like that having good blockers actually helps. I love that the FL Hitch doesn't get you an automatic TD if you have a 90+ SPD WR. I like that we don't have to have rules (currently) for Punt Blocks and the like.

The league feels really competitive too (even billy).

I don't get that the game is broken.

In my other league I see some valid points displayed about passing that would open up deep passes. In current version it seems they are way more risk than reward. I don't mind 4.6 because I already played and geared my team towards more running in 4.5. Just tweaked some other things based on data being put out for community.

By TheAdmiral
12/01/2021 12:35 pm
The first couple of seasons will be rough on 4.5 teams that were built for speed. The other attributes are now significantly more important.

By norm - League Admin
12/01/2021 2:04 pm
Even though I am failing at adapting so far, I like that it is different. A new challenge. It's like a new game now. And props to those who have cracked the code so far. I think I've got a handle on the defense, but offense, totally lost.

By kursetheday
12/01/2021 2:39 pm
norm wrote:
Even though I am failing at adapting so far, I like that it is different. A new challenge. It's like a new game now. And props to those who have cracked the code so far. I think I've got a handle on the defense, but offense, totally lost.

I would never be pretentious to coach Norm, but here's what I can come up with (and mostly tracks with what TheAdmiral said):

-Read the Community Forums. There's plenty of speculative info about what works and doesn't
-Don't throw long.
-Play with at least 30 Offensive and 20 Defensive plays.
-Variety is the spice of life:
Mix up inside / outside runs, short and medium passes.
Don't blitz too much on passing downs; always blitz on running plays (need to scout for this; see below)
-Blocking matters, pass and run, but sacks are still gonna happen.
-Experiment now. Make rules to enforce trying new plays to see if they work. Parse through the data (I don't do SQL and all that; I just use scratch paper and two open browser windows to go back and forth) and adjust.
-ALWAYS SCOUT OPPONENTS. ALWAYS. (The one time life got in the way and didn't scout my opponent...guess what? I lost. My only loss this season. Coincidence? Maybe. Doubtful, though. Scouting matters).

By asnboidmx
12/02/2021 1:47 am
My favorite part about 4.6 is that I'm not required to spam FL Hitch and 4-3 OLB Flat Zone to be competitive anymore. It became too much about knowing the tricks and gaming the system. It never made me feel good to defeat a less engaged owner simply because I knew to use FL Hitch and they didn't. 4.6 I feel brings the knowledge gap closer so that owners need only select the plays that are working for them to be competitive most games.

Jeffrey Lacey + 4.5 FL Hitch